This sewing tutorial explains how to make a pocket, gives you a pocket pattern, and tells you how to add an in-seam pocket to any dress (or pants, or anything really), making it SO MUCH MORE USEFUL. Pockets are essential, otherwise, where are you going to hide your hands and uneaten snacks?
Keep reading for the pocket pattern/tutorial, or you can check out my other DIY patterns.
You can follow the brief tutorial below to add pockets, or download the full DIY pocket pattern, which includes 8 pages of detailed instructions plus a printable pocket pattern. For the instructions below, you’ll need to draw a pocket pattern of an arc 9.25” tall and 8” wide.
In-Seam Pocket Tutorial
- Gather your materials
- Cut out 4 pocket pieces.
- Beginning about 3 inches below the natural waistline, start ripping the seam until you have a 10” hole.
- Place 1 pocket piece on the front of the skirt, right sides together, 3.5” below the natural waistline, lining up the edge of the pocket with the edge of your skirt. Pin in place. Now do the same thing on the back of the skirt.
- Stitch the front pocket to the front of the skirt, using 3/8” seam allowance. Stitch the back pocket to the back of the skirt the same way.
- Press the seams open.
- Fold over the pocket and press it flat.
- Turn your skirt inside out. With front and back skirt pieces right sides together, stitch along the seams and around the pockets using 1/2” seam allowance…in one continuous stitching line.
- Clip into the seams where the pockets join the skirt. Press seams open and turn right side out.
Now, repeat steps 3-9 for the other side of the skirt.
Now fill them up with stuff!